Monday, October 11, 2010

Communication Breakdown


September 11,2010

Every day I face some sort of an interpersonal situation. There was a Sunday in this past June where the guy who I was “with” but not officially and I had an argument. It had to do with him going to see a girl (a friend who he has known for years) and we were communicating through texting on our cell phones. The breakdown occurred as soon as we were texting about each of our plans were that night. He had plans to go to the beach to meet up with this girl and I was going to a graduation party. It was really difficult; for I had a hard time understanding what was truly being said. He was trying to explain to me what the deal was with him and the girl and how it was nothing serious. His use of words in the text made it seem a lot worse then it really was. I on the other hand took it for what I saw and developed it in my head for what I thought it meant. It lead to us getting mad at one another and me getting all worked up. Girls and guys are very different; they have their own ways of thinking. And when you use text messaging it can become very complicated.
         I do feel if we had a better understanding of the communication process, him and I could have had better results in our communication towards one another. In addition, I have learned to eliminate texting him with situations like this past one. Communication is very important I have come to realize. With texting it is very hard to read and understand the message of what the other person is trying to convey to you. How the message is exactly being said is never easy. There is no tone of voice, if any, it may include some marks, like exclamation points, periods, capital letters, etc. But not many people take the time now a day to include any punctuation marks let alone spell out the words in the text message.

No comments:

Post a Comment