Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Interpersonal Communication and Conflict

Communicating to someone else when in a conflict can be very difficult and stressful. In some ways it seems like there is no way out because you and the other person have such strong view point that it seems impossible to come to a conclusion. In those cases you must take a breath, step back, and give your self-time to cool down. It is healthier and reduces conflict so both you and the other person can think the argument over.
Communication techniques that I use to reduce my conflicts is I listen to what they have to say and usually I’ll respond saying “I understand what you are trying to say but, …” or many times especially if the conflict is really heated I walk away and basically say I am not dealing with this right now. I do get heated so in order to calm myself down I have to walk away and think about what I want to say first. I do tend to be very blunt which is not always the best answer. From those responses I choose to use to reduce my conflicts, I notice they can be unhealthy choices. For then my situation is still not over, and the conflict is still there. On the other hand, the first one I mentioned about agreeing with them and restating my view is a healthy choice.
Everyone is different and takes situations into their own frame of reference on how they want to deal with it. Conflicts are never easy, but it is something we all face every single day in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment